Join the revolution - StartCom Linux  
Join the revolution - StartCom Linux

Official StartCom Public User Forum

FAQ FAQ   View the advanced search options Advanced search   Members Members   Groups Groups  Register Register 
 User Control Panel User Control Panel       Login Login 

Post subject: Notary Bootstrapping
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:09 am 

One of the reasons why StartSSL WoT can be a better trusted Web-of-Trust network than others, is the fact, that notaries have to be Class 2 certified by StartCom. This allows to always track verifications done by one or more notaries to real and verified identities. We call this the bootstrapping of notaries, since one or two notaries can start to verify other members in any region of the world without relying on already existing other notaries (provided they can be verified successfully by StartCom).

Additionally, notaries have to be at least 18 years old and undergo an online test. The test is not too difficult, however it requires the notary to actually read and understand the WoT policy. The online test for notaries is about the educational effect it creates. All this steps and requirements are good reasons for a successful network of notaries and members - one on which a third party actually can rely on! It's not the easy and quick way of others, but the only right one (in our opinion of course).

OK, so what has to be done in order to become a StartSSL Wot Notary? There are two options - either way will work:

- Get a StartSSL Verified (Class 2) client certificate and use it in order to login to the protected area at the WoT web site. Perform the online notary test and thathaa...you are a notary.

- Alternatively you can get a StartSSl Free (Class 1) client certificate and use it in order to login to the protected area. Perform the online test first and at a later stage acquire the required Class 2 certificate. You can use the Add Certificate function for that. After that you are assigned notary status and you'll show up in the Notary Finder.

If you are concerned about the costs for the Class 2 certification (~ US $ 39.90), than we suggest to organize a group of interested people in your region and contact StartCom with the exact amount of certifications needed for them. We'll try to do our utmost, to give a fair discount, depending on the amount (bulk purchase) and region.

Should you be interested in becoming a reseller of StartSSL Verified certificates, than check out the StartSSLâ„¢ Distributor Package.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Digg it...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:25 am 
Site Admin

Digg this story here!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Notary Bootstrapping
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:56 pm 

:P Hi Eddy, I completed the Notary test, what happens now, nothing obvious has appeared on in my details or certificates.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:20 pm 

You need to get Class 2 identity validated in order to function as a StartSSL WoT Notary. Or perhaps validated yourself at two existing notaries and your name will appear in your client certificates in the future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:34 pm 

Tanya, there is also a problem with your mail server. It's not possible to send you mail.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:14 am 

Hi,

I got a class 2 identity and completed the notary test at least one month ago and i'm not in the WoT notary list :)
Is there something i forgot to do ?

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:41 am 

We need to know at least your name in order to investigate. Please email the certmaster [at] startcom [dot] org. Also this site will work very soon much easier without the need to register the Class 2 certificates.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:54 am 

Done :)
Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:39 am 

Hi,

There is only one Notary in my entire state (NSW, Australia).

How do I go about getting verified by two?

I'm happy to become one as well, but not sure how Startcom get notaries started in new areas.

Oh, I work in the Sydney City CBD so I'm probably a good person to become one (happy to meet/verify people in my lunch hour etc)

Thanks,

Thomas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:50 am 

We've seen lots of interest recently at the WoT, more and more Wot-Notaries are joining. It would be great if you would too. ;-)
Australia certainly needs more love!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:07 am 

I'd love to join, but I can't get verified by two notaries. They don't exist in this state and I can't really afford to fly interstate to get verified.
Is there another method available?

T.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:14 am 

By going through the Class 2 validation at StartSSL you can become a WoT-Notary after performing the test as well. This is what all current members with notary status did.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:38 am 

Ouch $30USD. I'll have to think about it. Glad to know it's possible though.
T.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:43 am 

Quick question: I've passed the Notary test, I want to get Class-2 identity verified so I can get wildcard and/or multidomain certificates, and to participate as a Notary.

Unfortunately, in the United States, driver's license seems to be the only photo-id document most people have, and passports are expensive, especially if one doesn't have the need to travel overseas. What alternatives are there, is the "two photo-id documents" a strict rule or are there other things that would be acceptable?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:39 pm 

We also accept photo ID documents which are issued by a state or local authority (citizen card for example). Otherwise the Social Security number slip or a birth certificate can substitute as well.

Profile E-mail